The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul is the co-cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Đakovo-Osijek. A co-cathedral is a cathedral church which shares the function of being a bishop’s seat, or cathedral, with another cathedral, often in another city. The church of St. Peter and St. Paul is build in a neo-Gothic style and is located in Osijek, east Croatia. The multi-tiered 90 meter high spire is one of the city’s landmarks. The church was built in 1898 on the initiative of the Bishop of Đakovo Josip Juraj Strossmayer.
The entrance of the church is a small door to the right of the main portal, overlooked by a trio of gargoyles. The interior is a treasure trove of neo-Gothic ornamentation, with a succession of pinnacled altars overlooked by beautiful stained glass windows. The interior was finished in the war years 1938–1942 when leading Croatian painter Mirko Rački covered the walls and ceilings with brightly coloured frescoes illustrating famous episodes from the Old and New Testaments.
- This is the tallest building in Croatia outside of Zagreb.
- Capacity of the church during the mass is over 3000 people.
- The church is built of three and a half million bricks, and has a coloured stone altars.
- The four tower bells weigh 2665 kg, 1552 kg, 740 kg. and 331 kg.
- In 1991, during Croatian War of Independence the church was heavily damaged.
Pavla Pejačevića 1, 31000 Osijek
Daily at 07.00 and 18.30,
Sundays at 06.30, 07.30, 08.30, 10.00, 11.30 and 18.30.
telephone +385 31 310 020 / 021